2018 China Summer Programme
The China Summer Programme (CSP) is an exceptional opportunity for students of Wesley International Academy to travel internationally and become fully immersed in Chinese language and culture through extended study at Nanjing University. In 2018, the program will be open to students who have completed Years 1, 2, and 3 by the summer of the trip. Beginning in 2019, the program will be open to students who have completed Year 1 and 2 of the Middle Years Programme (MYP) only. Students who will have completed Year 3 by the start of the program and students who are not currently enrolled as Wesley students will not be eligible. Roughly 18 students will be selected to participate each summer.
CSP Applicant Components
- Applicants must have passed the Youth Chinese Test (YCT) III or above.
- Applicants must currently maintain a passing grade in Chinese, with satisfactory conduct.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at Wesley International Academy
B) Application Requirements:
- Completed Application of Interest
- A one-page, typed essay, in English using the following criteria:
- Times New Roman font
- size 12 font
- 350 words maximum
- The essay must answer the following questions in detail:
- Why you are interested in studying in China?
- What are your goals and expectations for the experience abroad?
- How do you think this opportunity will benefit you personally and academically?
C) Recommendation Requirements:
- A completed recommendation form from one of the applicant’s core classroom teachers.
- A completed recommendation form from the applicant’s current Chinese teacher.
- A recommendation letter from someone external to the Wesley community. This may include a letter form a pastor, club leader, music teacher, godparent, coach, or close family friend. Letters from parents and family members will not be accepted.
- Please note: These letters should give examples of the applicant’s accomplishments.
China Summer Programme Selection Committee
The CSP selection committee will be composed of three individuals, including at least one member of the GSU Confucius Institute and a WIA staff member. The committee will use a rubric to determine each application and will select students who possess Chinese proficiency, an innate curiosity, and the physical and emotional sophistication required for such study. Selected applicants will be subject to approval of the Wesley administration.
Application Process and Fundraising Timeline
- February 27, 2017: CSP application available in the front office
- March 1, 2017, 6:30 pm: CSP Q&A
- April 10, 2017: CSP applications due
- May 8, 2017: CSP application deadline – extended!
- Week of May 12, 2017: CSP Interviews (rescheduled)
- May 12, 2017: CSP applicants notified of decision
- May 20, 2017: CSP commitment letters and initial deposit due
- May 31, 2017: CSP Fundraising begins
- December 31, 2017: CSP Fundraising ends
CSP Payment Schedule
Payment 1 (commitment letter) || August 15, 2017 || $250
Payment 2 || September 15, 2017 || $1250
Payment 3 || December 15, 2017 || $1250
Payment 4 || February 15, 2018 || $1250
Payment 5 || April 15, 2018 || $1000*
*The last payment in April may decrease due to fundraising and outside donations.
Do you shop at Kroger?
It is easy to support us by registering yourKroger Plus card online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com and enroll to support Wesley International Academy: ID# 107599. Kroger will donate a percentage of your purchases toward WIA students’ China trip for a month of full immersion Mandarin.
If you registered last year, you must do it annually because Kroger resets its registrations. And if you haven’t registered your card, please go online and support us. A percentage of the money you spend at Kroger will help our efforts to send a Wesley International Academy student to China!
If you do not have a Kroger Plus card, they are available at any Kroger customer service desk.
To find out more about this program or how you might offer your support, please contact Lea Durdin.
To read the blog from last year’s trailblazer group, click here.