The China Summer Programme (CSP) is an exceptional opportunity for students of Wesley International Academy to travel internationally and become fully immersed in Chinese language and culture through extended study at Nanjing University.
CSP is open to students who have completed MYP Years 1 and 2. Roughly 18 students are selected to participate each summer. Below is the application process, requirement, and timeline for Summer 2019.
CSP Applicant Components
- Applicants must have passed the Youth Chinese Test (YCT) III or above.
- Applicants must currently maintain a passing grade in Chinese, with satisfactory conduct.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at Wesley International Academy as a 5th or 6th grader
B) Application Requirements:
- Completed Application of Interest
- A one-page, typed essay, in English using the following criteria:
- Times New Roman font
- size 12 font
- 350 words maximum
- The essay must answer the following questions in detail:
- Why are you interested in studying in China?
- What are your goals and expectations for the experience abroad?
- How do you think this opportunity will benefit you personally and academically?
C) Recommendation Requirements:
- A completed recommendation form from one of the applicant’s core classroom teachers.
- A completed recommendation form from the applicant’s current Chinese teacher.
- A recommendation letter from someone external to the Wesley community. This may include a letter from a pastor, club leader, music teacher, godparent, coach, or close family friend. Letters from parents and family members will not be accepted.
- Please note: These letters should give examples of the applicant’s accomplishments.
China Summer Programme Selection Committee
The CSP selection committee will be composed of three individuals including at least one member of the GSU Confucius Institute, and a WIA staff member. The committee will use a rubric to determine each application and select students who possess Chinese proficiency, an innate curiosity and the physical and emotional sophistication required for such study. Selected applicants will be subject to the approval of the Wesley administration.
Application Process and Fundraising Timeline
- May 8, 2018, 6:30 pm: China Summer Programme Q&A
- May 25, 2018: CSP application deadline
- June 1, 2018: CSP Interviews (applicants will be notified)
- August 10, 2018: CSP applicants notified of the decision
- September 1, 2018: CSP commitment letters and initial deposit due
- September 13, 2018: First CSP family meeting
CSP Payment Schedule:
- Payment 1 (commitment letter) || TBD || $250
- Payment 2 || TBD || $1250
- Payment 3 || TBD || $1250
- Payment 4 || TBD || $1250
- Payment 5 || TBD || $1000*
Do you shop at Kroger?
It is easy to support us by registering your Kroger Plus card online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com and enroll to support Wesley International Academy: ID# 107599. Kroger will donate a percentage of your purchases toward WIA students’ China trip for a month of full immersion Mandarin.
If you registered in the past, you must do it annually because Kroger resets its registrations. And if you haven’t registered your card, please go online and support us. A percentage of the money you spend at Kroger will help our efforts to send a Wesley International Academy student to China!
If you do not have a Kroger Plus card, they are available at any Kroger customer service desk.