Our MissionWesley International Academy develops in students the discipline of learning and a life-long desire for knowledge through a world class International Baccalaureate education.
What is International Baccalaureate®?
An International Baccalaureate (IB) education follows the criteria featured below.
- Developing citizens of the world in relation to culture, language and learning to live together.
- Building and reinforcing students’ sense of identity and cultural awareness.
- Fostering students’ recognition and development of universal human values.
- Stimulating curiosity and inquiry in order to foster a spirit of discovery and enjoyment of learning.
- Equipping students with the skills to learn and acquire knowledge, individually or collaboratively, and to apply these skills and knowledge accordingly across a broad range of areas.
- Providing international content while responding to local requirements and interests.
- Encouraging diversity and flexibility in teaching methods.
- Providing appropriate forms of assessment and international benchmarking.
Wesley International Academy develops internationally-minded students. International mindedness incorporates global engagement, intercultural understanding and multilingualism, which are embedded in the learner profile. The learner profile is central to what it means to be internationally minded. The learner profile consists of ten attributes that the students develop inside and outside the classroom, on their journey as life long learners. Download the IB Learner Profile here to learn more.
An IB education offers academic and personal rigor, challenging students to excel both in their studies and in their personal growth. In our students’ studies at Wesley International Academy, they explore, examine and celebrate cultural differences in an academically challenging and encouraging environment.
IB Programme offerings are divided based on age and grade. At Wesley International Academy, we offer the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) for kindergarten through 5th grades and the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) for 6th through 8th grades. It should be noted that the MYP Programme continues through 10th grade and we encourage our students to continue their IB journey by completing the MYP in high school before moving on to the Diploma or Career Programmes. However, if the next step into high school does not include IB, our students are ready excel in a variety of educational settings thanks to the high expectations and preparation of an IB education. Wesley students graduate prepared to exceed the academic and social challenges of freshman year, armed with the self-confidence to try new things, and steeped in the desire to remain life-long learners.For more information about International Baccalaureate Primary Years (PYP) and Middle Years Programmes (MYP), please visit www.ibo.org.